First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
Why Use 802.11? (cont.)
Speeds range from 11Mb/s to 54Mb/s
- Another magnitude jump of low-cost networking hardware from a couple of years ago. (2Mb/s) or even 2 to 3 magnitudes of amateur packet radio (1.2-56Kb/s).
- Real world speeds about 5Mb/s to 20Mb/s
Plug and play
- Most modern operating systems support 802.11
- i.e. Mac OSX, *BSD, Linux, MS-Win 95 to XP.
- Depending on implementation, it can be as easy to set up as standard Ethernet and in some cases easier.